As Gladiator’s Quintus once said, “People should know when they’re conquered”. Such were the sentiments roughly a year ago when YHC introduced the Murph to the Wreck PAX. At the time, YHC was recovering from a viciously broken toe, so the “meat” portion of the Murph sandwich was about the only thing he could do. Since that introduction, the PAX have grown strong and no longer fear the once vaunted Murph. With a Q on the calendar coinciding with the anniversary of a hobbled recovery just a year prior, YHC thought it would be a fine idea make the Murph fearsome again (MMFA).
After some quick disclaimers and a round-up of a late-arriving Turbine (who surely wouldn’t miss a good Murph), we were off. Short mosey up the main road to the football field parking lot for the following:
- Toy Soldiers
Direct a Bear-led non-mosey group to lunge-walk the main parking lot while waiting for the Q-led PAX to log some mileage along the perimeter trail. Once completed, gather up the non-mosey group and lead the entire PAX towards the playground which would be center stage for the BD.
On our approach, Q directed PAX to select a boulder of their choice, because coupons are like bacon – they make everything better (especially the Murph). In addition to coupons, Q decided to tweak the exercises a bit in order to re-establish Murph as a BD to be feared. The new mix, as follows:
- 10 Pull-Ups
- 20 Derkins
- 25 Sumo Squats (w/coupon)
- 25 Overhead Press (w/coupon)
Rinse/repeat for 10 rounds (or AMRAP), at least until Q calls time. Great work by all, especially Sprocket who opted to don the weight-vest against his better judgement.
With 10 minutes left on the clock, direct PAX to finish their last exercise and return coupons to their rightful domain. Bear led a mosey-free return to the flag, while YHC directed the remaining PAX on a final leg to round out the requisite mileage. A final minute or two for Mary while YHC fetched his phone before time was called.
- Devastating news to hear that Darth Visor from Big Creek AO passed yesterday at the end of the BD – such a heart-wrenching tragedy. A convergence at Big Creek will happen tomorrow am in his honor.
- YHC confirmed that an AED is available on-site within the Community Activity Building. Normal business hours commence at 0900, however, the building is typically open at 0530 due to basketball league using the facility.
- Some good interest in organizing PAX to participate in the Roswell Historic 5k coming up on October 13. See here for registration info.
What we do in life echoes in eternity – I didn’t know Darth Visor personally, but the outpouring of love from F3Alpha and beyond tells me all that I need to know about the man, that he was HIM in the greatest sense and one who truly left his mark. May we all take a moment today and pause to honor his life and recognize that life is precious and can be gone in an instant. Live each day to it’s fullest, be caring and good to those around you, and don’t take anything for granted.